12/21/2014

The Anxiety Ridden Oculus

Rating: 3/5

     I don't even know where to begin. Oh yeah I do... this movie was a huge mind trip that led to nothing. I feel like nothing was adequately explained. There was an attempt to explain the origins of the mirror in the beginning of the movie, but after that the idea was given up on. I have no idea why the mirror was so evil, and who Marisol was.  Was she the original evil mirror spirit? Was she the first person killed by the mirror? So many questions and no answers. Then the whole movie I spent trying to figure out what the hell reality was. Most of the movie was patched together pretty well though there were some faults. For instance, The finance, Mike, was supposed to call every hour, and if she didn't pick up he was supposed to call the police. Yet he magically appears in the house and gets stabbed. One theory as to why he would be there is that the mirror intercepted the call and told him to come over. However, throughout the course of the movie, the mirror messes with the cell phone on the premises. No where in the movie is it implied or inferred that the mirror can make false calls out. 
     Another concerning character is the mother, what the hell was wrong with her? I swear she was strangled to death. Yet there she was chained up in the room. Was she possessed? Why did she eat plates? Also the dad had some weird habits, like peeling all his nails off... why? It also seemed that the mirror targeted males and dogs, also unexplained. 
     Over all, the movie did keep me on the edge of my seat. However, the ending was a complete let down. To make this movie truly scary, I would have anchored it in reality and put a psychological twist on it. I feel like that would have had more closure than an evil mirror with unknown origin. Ironically enough, the movie did start off attempting to bring psychology into the picture but that was quickly abandoned and never addressed again. Tragically, with the way the movie ended, I'm sensing a sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment